Types of Adoptions
These are our Azerbaijan babies - five children adopted from Azerbaijan by different families in NC. When possible, we will introduce our clients to other local families who are pursuing a similar type of adoption - often creating long-lasting friendships for both the parents and the children!
Domestic adoption refers to the adoption of a child living in the United States. It generally follows one of three routes:
- The placement of a child through a public agency (such as the Department of Social Services) which primarily deals with children in the foster care system, older children, and children with "special needs."
- The placement of a child through a licensed private adoption agency. Typically, private domestic agencies place newborn babies, although they can place older children as well.
- The independent placement of a child by the child's birth parents directly with the prospective adoptive parents, often assisted by an attorney. This process requires the prospective parents to locate a child available for adoption.
Why domestic adoption?
Many people select domestic adoption because it is possible to adopt a newborn baby domestically. Also, you may have information about the prenatal care of the child, health of the birthmother, the medical history of the birthparents and an opportunity to meet your child's birthparents.
International adoption involves adopting a child from outside the United States. In a majority of international adoptions, children are adopted from orphanages, although sometimes they come from a foster care situation.
After you have selected your home study agency and child placing agency, the process of international adoption involves three things:
Why International Adoption?
- Begin the home study process.
- Apply for approval from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (formerly INS) to bring the child home.
- Prepare your dossier. The dossier is the packet of documents that is sent to the other country to support your request to adopt. You will work closely with your child-placing agency to prepare your dossier.
There can be a lot of paperwork involved, but it is manageable and your agency will help you every step of the way.
People choose international adoption for a variety of reasons. They may feel an affinity for a certain country or culture. Some people take the humanitarian approach of wanting to give a home to a child from an orphanage in an impoverished area of the world. Others are more comfortable with no connection to the child's birthparents.
Factors to consider when deciding what type of adoption is best for you:
- Time factor, how long you will have to wait
- Health of the child
- Age of the child
- Ethnicity/race of the child
- Knowledge of parental health, and the child’s family health history
- Ability to meet the birth parents
- Comfort with international travel
- Comfort with risk- both emotional and financial
|Ryan is here because there were people who believed in our dream, you are at the top of this list! We can never thank you enough.
The adoption of our son was unique in many ways. When other agencies thought that it couldn't be done, Helene believed in and supported us. Nathanson Adoption Services helped us adopt the child that we have always dreamed about.
|We chose Nathanson Adoption Services because of its reputation for providing outstanding adoption related services. Helene Nathanson sat down with us and made us feel like we had known her all our lives--making it so easy to share the personal information that is required for the home study. Her meetings with us also included adoption education and counseling. This education and couseling along with the compassion and respect that Helene showed us made us feel very comfortable and confident that pursuing an adoption was right for us.
Thank you for everything you did to help bring Austin into our family. We feel so fortunate to have met you, because you helped make our two year search for Austin something that we could handle. We admire the work you do, and thank you for doing it.